Monday 27 April 2015

Book Review: 101: Everything You Need To Know About Whiskey




Book Review:

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, I'm thirsty, not dirty." - Joe E. Lewis, 1902-1971, American actor and comedian.

101: Everything You Need to Know About Whiskey is a very informative book by Bob Lipinsky. The author gives a general description about whiskies, their distinctive features and flavours, countries of origin, history, ingredients used and definitions. The types of whiskies include corn, Bourbon, Canadian, Japanese and Irish. Some whiskey flavours include almond, toffee, nuts, fruit, ginger and honey. Whiskey only ages in wooden barrels and ceases to improve once removed. It does, however, react well to sunlight. A bottle of 25- year-old Scotch purchased 10 years ago will remain 25-year-old, and shelf life depends on consumption.

"My God, so much I like to drink Scotch that sometimes I think my name is Igor Stra-whiskey." - Igor Stravinsky, 1882-1971, Russian-born modern composer.

Although I don't drink whiskey, I was tempted to while reading this insightful, educational book. Bob Lipinski was very thorough and knowledgeable in his research, providing a wealth of information regarding whiskey. I was impressed with the content and loved the whiskey-infused quotes. The sections on Drinks of American Presidents and Celebrities, Classic Whiskey Cocktails and unusual Slang Terms are interesting. The United States Congress passed a resolution recognizing bourbon whiskey as a distinctive product of their country so other countries don't have the right to call their whiskey products bourbon. 101: Everything You Need to Know About Whiskey is worth reading.




Here are links for Bob Lipinski's book:




Amazon                           Goodreads




Rating:      




Reviewed by Michelle Stanley for Readers' Favorite.



Please, feel free to comment.




No comments:

Post a Comment