Tuesday 24 December 2013

My Christmas Muse for 2013

Christmas Tree

This Christmas will be a quiet one for me, and won't be going to the numerous activities and events that will be held for the festive season. I intend to spend a peaceful time at home, reading books and writing more articles for my blog and a few clients. My studies have also been neglected, and this too, will be my primary focus.

As I'm sitting at my desk writing this, the urge to go outside and sit in the warm sun and admire the flowers in the garden is tempting. But it is too great a distraction, as there are many errands to do to ensure Christmas Day, as well as Boxing Day special ones. My son ate all of the treats that were in the stockings, so I need to get more refills as well. I only took a break and ended up jotting this article; scribbling my thoughts clears my mind and relaxes me.

I always know when Christmas is near because the wind changes in late October, carrying that special fresh pine scent I love. My hometown Mandeville, is 2,000 feet above sea level and is one of the very few places in Jamaica known for its cool climate. It tends to get foggy too, and is fondly referred to as "The English City of Jamaica."

There are a lot of pine trees around, and some people including my family, often go to the nearby tree nurseries and select the trees we want in advance, tagging them with our special ribbons or other identification. Another sign of the festive season is the pleasant aroma of rum cakes and fruit cakes being baked. These are sure signs of Christmas that always puts me in the festive spirit.

Well, this is my little post of the day, as time is precious, and my coffee break ended long ago. Writing really is absorbing and makes one forget about everything else.

Christmas Cake


Have a Merry Christmas and a healthy, prosperous New Year!

Images courtesy of www.wikimediacommons.org

No comments:

Post a Comment